Thursday, December 2, 2010

No laughing matter

Kelsey Anne has started to laugh! Andy told me she laughs at him all the time. I was so excited to tell Steve, and he didn't see it as a big deal. I got so mad. Of course this is a big deal, our daughter's first laugh. He then proceeded to tell me that she has laughed at him before. WHAT! Then Ellyn tells me today that Kelsey laughed at her. She has yet to laugh at me. As I am thinking about this I remember something Andy said to me, he said that daddy plays with Kelsey more than I do.

mmmmm....

Isn't that how it is though with moms and dads? Moms have laundry, dishes, school work and other things to do, besides play. And dads are the fun ones. They are the ones who get down and play. But does it have to be that way? All our kids want from us is to "just play with me mom."

But how are we to do it. Do it all. The whole "to do" list and the playtime? Are we to do it all? I think that is when burn out happens. We don't have to be the super mom. We don't have to have it all and do it all. There has to be a balance. Right? But where or how do we find that balance? I don't want my kids to grow up and remember all the times mom said "Not right now, I have to do...." I want them to remember the fun, the playtime's and the family times. But once again there has to be balance. There is still house work to be done, meals to be served and laundry to do. And I can't forget about me. Me! Yes there has to be time to take care of me. If I am not getting filled up, and all I am doing is pouring out into everyone, I am going to run out of me. And that will not be good. So how do I take care of me? and the laundry and the kids?

I don't know.

But I do know, that I need to spend time with Kelsey Anne, and wait for that laugh. The laundry can wait, the dishes will still be there, but this cute little three month old will be all grown up before I know it.

No comments: