Sunday, March 1, 2009

If Mama Goes South,...

I have finished another book. "If Mama Goes South, We're All Going with Her."

I forgot to add it to my reading list, it wasn't a planned read. I was at the Christian Book Store (Gift of Grace in Springville) shopping the bargain bookshelf, one of my favorite places to be. And I can upon this book, and for $5 who could pass it up.


It was a good book. I have written about some of what I have learned it past posts. It was good to remind me to take care of myself. I have to be healthy for all the people who need me, my husband, kids, church and ministry. I could see that life was getting out of balance and God used this book to bring it back.

I also learned something that I never expected to. I learned that I don't have to read every word on every page of every chapter. Who knew? Not me. I thought that once I started a book, I had to read it, ALL OF IT. But, it is ok that I didn't. Some of the book didn't apply to me, at this season of my life. It may at a different time, or it may to whomever I lend it to.

In one chapter the author is talking about being Road Weary. Now, if you are a mom, you understand what I am talking about without me even to have to explain. But for those of you who do not, this is what she is talking about. It is the if I hear "mommy I need you" one more time I am going to explode. That is not what God has intended for us. But we get that way, Road Weary.

The author has this to say "Have you gotten enough sleep? Had any "down time"? Did you take a Sabbath day? Are you surrendering to God and the rest he promises for your soul regardless of what's simmering or storming in your life? Have you gotten outside to be rejuvenated with the healing properties of sun and light on your skin and fresh air in your lungs? Growing in these areas of your life can and will increase your capacity to serve others, and be healthier and happier while your doing it." These are great questions that I need to ask myself every so often to make sure I am taking care of Mama.

One last thought " Life is as busy as we make it, and we do find time in our days for the things we value." What do I value? Where is my time being spent? Am I seeking God everyday? And asking him to show me what I need to do? Because I know that He gives me enough time in my day to do all that He wants me to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My Daughter, the family genius. Always learning something and sharing. I learn more from you than any one else in my life. I guess that is why God gave you to us--to teach us oh, so much.

I love you
Mom