Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday Grace

In October 2007 we began a ministry called "Saturday Grace."

On the third Saturday of every month we open the doors to our church (Grace Bible Church) and give out free food and clothing to any one in need. It has been an amazing journey over this past year. On our first Saturday we had one person show up, this weekend we served 59 families and almost 300 people.

We advertise on the Christian radio station KEYY, hang up some signs and pass out bulletin inserts to our church. Mostly people find out about us through word of mouth and the work of God. We receive our food from the Utah Food Bank and clothing from donations. It has been great to see our church and community step up to help.

This ministry has become a labor of love, sometimes it just seems like labor. A friend of mine whose family came to help out said she wanted to thank me for all that I have done with Saturday Grace. I said it wasn't me, it was God. She then replied, that He does use the willing and obedient. I have to admit that I haven't always been willing. But for those of you who have ever been in a ministry you will understand when I say, there was no way I could not not do this. It has been very hard, but very worth it. I think the best part is seeing our own church body step up and take ownership of this. I can not do this alone and now that our church has stepped up we are seeing it take off. Just 3 months ago we had about 15 families now look where God has brought us.

Last year we were featured in an article in the Daily Herald, the writer asked me and several others who were involved with Saturday Grace if we were concerned about running out of supplies (food and clothing) and without knowing we all said the same thing: "As long as God wants us here, he will provide the stuff." Last week I sent out an email to our church telling them of some of our needs, coats, gloves, hats, blankets and the like, and I am please to say they once again stepped up.

I don't know how long I will be doing Saturday Grace or where God will take us, but I do know it will be a fun ride.

Our happy helpers. Justin Jeffs decided that this was something that his family needed to help with. And boy am I glad he listened to the small quiet voice, because his family was much needed and truly a blessing to me and Saturday Grace.

We officially opened at 10, although we had people at the church at 9:30. I told them we were not ready yet but they could wait inside. At 10:02 we had 30 families signed it to receive food and clothing.

This is my dear friend Ashley. And finally a picture of me at Saturday Grace. I am always the one behind the camera.

This was our line of people waiting to receive food. With as busy as we were, we only had 9 families that didn't get food this week. We have an idea for raising food for our food bank that we will promote after the first of the year. It is going to be a very easy and simple way for our families to get involved with helping other families.

No comments: