Thursday, February 12, 2009

Now I know...

Croup is a common respiratory problem in young children. It tends to occur in the fall and winter. Its main symptom is a harsh, barking cough. Croup causes swelling and narrowing in the voice box, windpipe, and breathing tubes that lead to the lungs. This can make it hard for your child to breathe.

Symptoms of croup are caused by narrowed airways. They include a barking cough; a raspy, hoarse voice; and a harsh, crowing noise when breathing in. The cough is very distinctive, so you'll know it when you hear it. It is often compared to the sound of a barking seal. Sometimes children breathe fast and need to sit up to breathe better.

Symptoms of croup often improve during the day and get worse at night. Sometimes children have croup attacks that wake them up in the middle of the night for a couple of nights in a row, but the illness usually improves gradually in 2 to 5 days. by webmd.com

We went to see the doctor today and guess what Ellyn has? She has croup. Neither of our kids have had it, so I didn't really know what it was, how it was treated or how long it lasts. But thanks to webmd.com I now know, and so do you. You may have just learned something today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the valuable info. Not that I will be having any young children again but it's always good to learn something new.

Hope Ellyn is better today. If I hear some strange barking noises coming from the west I'll know what it is.

Get well soon Ellyn I Love You.
Grannie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the valuable info. Not that I will be having any young children again but it's always good to learn something new.

Hope Ellyn is better today. If I hear some strange barking noises coming from the west I'll know what it is.

Get well soon Ellyn I Love You.
Grannie

Anonymous said...

Nevaeh just got over that. They put her on steroids to help with the inflammation of her airways. My poor boy gets it a lot too. It is no fun to hear them bark. I have been praying for you and your family. Get to feeling better soon!
Ashley